Electronic valve control

Shannen Durphey shannen at mcn.net
Mon Feb 9 19:46:59 GMT 1998

BUTLER, Tom wrote:

> [...]

  I guess my earlier post never made it through.  One way to do this would
be to control the lifter bleed down rate.  If the cam had a high lift/long
duration lobe, then the bleed off could be held to a minimum during the
earliest part of the lift, and then dumped before the valve is open too long
to create early valve timing and lift.  As RPM increases, this could be
reversed.  If the lifter were made such that it had a minimum mechanical
lift then it would always open the valve no matter how much fluid pressure
there was within the lifter body.  In current engines, this could give a
rough form of valve control by using lifters with a fixed bleed down rate
and controlling the supply pressure.  Crude, but still better than fixed
lift and duration.

Shannen