Tuning O2sensor Knock Sensor Engine Damage

bruce plecan nacelp at bright.net
Tue Feb 10 15:48:18 GMT 1998

Jus to take some of the matches away, this posting is about/for
conventional V-8s, SBC SBF BBC BBF (Small Block Chevy,
Small Block Ford, Big Block Chevy, Big Block Ford).. While
there are probably numerous others, there are a bunch of
VTEC types that this would not be accurate for, but might..
The might is, I don't know, but would be worth testing, and
if some one has I'd be interested in the results.
  Going back over some notes from the early-mid 80's there
were alot of 2 gas analyzers that went to market for the then
pending inspections for CA.  Some GM training center notes
and a Radio Shack engine book, I've drawn some conculsions
that I'd like to share with ya'all.
  I have a slip of paper circa '83 that lists O2 v relative to AFR
Air Fuel Ratio, and one from 2-3 years ago from Cyberdyne
who manufacturers a 10 led AFR Monitor, and the voltages
match ie. .1v=17:1  .3v=16:  .5v=14.9  .7v=13.8:1  .9v=12.7:1
Also going by the RS book is show some differences in
response time vs temp, and differences in v depending on
load.  So yes there are variables, and yes the results will
vary with mounting locations, and loading.
  But for high performance tuning as an INDICATOR, I
would have no reservations on using one as a guide.
The double check would be again doing plug cuts.
  So while you might be working on a 20:1 AFR buggy,
then you would have to use a wide ratio O2 sensor,
if it was exposed to a limited amount of exhaust gas
and needed heating and thermal compensation then
you need the double wammy wide ratio O2 stuff.
But IMHO for what the average DIY will be attempting
I think a good ole GM single lead if mounted in iron
manifold, and a 3 wire used in tubular headers will
work just fine.
  So while the MEs, and EEs discuss the merits of both
for alot of us just building the 10 LED O2 monitor like
is shown in the GN Ttype tech area will work fine.
Also they (the GN's) have a bunch of cars running
10s,11s, that regulary use unleaded with a heated O2.
and have "fair results" (10s with A/C actually is better
than fair in my book)..
Bruce   Will I ever get back to lurking
         Still looking for 90 BBC Pickup bin
         Still needin Injector addresses for 1227165,
         1227747, and 1227730 V-8 auto trans
   Besure to get your copy of "Zen and the art
   of wearing a cone shaped hat"...
Grasshopper, your a sick dude......