DIY glass fibre plenum chamber? Bad idea?

Tony Bryant Tony.Bryant at psc.fp.co.nz
Tue Feb 10 21:10:21 GMT 1998

I'm looking at redesigning my plennum chamber to
something a little more streamlined than just a
box.

What I've got is a inline four cylinder with a cast
aluminum individual runner carb type manifold (meant for DCOE
webers), that has been modified to take injectors.

What I'm talking about is the continuation of these runners to
get a decent length, then into a common plenum (as is standard
on production efi engine).

I'm looking at making this plennum (and its short little runners)
from fibreglass, with a metal gauze set in it to help dissapate
any heat.

A. Is this workable, or will the heat be too much for it? (bear in
 mind that its not directly touching the head, but bolts on the
 exisiting manifold).

B. Any bright ideas on how to make it? Anything better than
   a polystyerene mould dissolved out with solvent?

C. Will there be any thermal expansion problems if I set the throttle
  bodies directly into it?

'71 510 Daily driver
'72 510 Race car
'85 V12 XJ-S Garage ornament