DIY glass fibre plenum chamber? Bad idea?

Andrew McKenzie andmaca at tig.com.au
Wed Feb 11 05:15:59 GMT 1998

At 10:11 AM 11/02/98 +1200, you wrote:
>I'm looking at redesigning my plennum chamber to
>something a little more streamlined than just a
>box.
>
>What I've got is a inline four cylinder with a cast
>aluminum individual runner carb type manifold (meant for DCOE
>webers), that has been modified to take injectors.
>
>What I'm talking about is the continuation of these runners to
>get a decent length, then into a common plenum (as is standard
>on production efi engine).
>
>I'm looking at making this plennum (and its short little runners)
>from fibreglass, with a metal gauze set in it to help dissapate
>any heat.
>
>'71 510 Daily driver
>'72 510 Race car
>'85 V12 XJ-S Garage ornament
Hi,
        Why not make a custom plenum from aluminium?. It's cheap, can be
polished, is easy to modify later and it works very successfully when bolted
to most metals. Just buy a sheet of 3mm aluminium from a scap metal joint,
fold\scuplture it your desired application and MIG or Tig the joints
together. Seen some on twin turbo motors with wild looking plenums. hope
this helps.
Andrew McKenzie <andmaca at tig.com.au>
Sydney, Australia
1980(?) Rover 3500 S V8 Series 1 Update 5 Speed Hybrid
Platinum with Nutmeg Interior
VIN:RRKWV7AA146311	ENGINE NO:N832.153P
Phone: (H) 61 (2)9528-8899