DIY glass fibre plenum chamber? Bad idea?

DemonTSi at aol.com DemonTSi at aol.com
Wed Feb 11 18:16:51 GMT 1998

In a message dated 98-02-11 11:57:05 EST, dbrewste at ix.netcom.com writes:

<< For Kevlar to work as armor it needs room to move to absorb the
 energy of the projectile. Well laid up, many layer, 45 degree
 cris cross is exactly the wrong way to do it because it make a
 rigid structure that can't move enough to absorb the energy of
 the projectile so the Kevlar fibres get cut and/or pushed aside
 as the projectile whizzes through.  Kevlar has little if any
 advantage in a composite structure unless is is very skillfully
 used in combination with other composites. >>

You're right...the kevlar project that we worked on was just to create a plain
-ole plate of kevlar, but then some guy tried to "test" it. The use of just
unidirectional kevlar in the resin matrix shears too easily also...allowing
the bullet to pass through pretty easily. And I figured that most bullet proof
vests that use kevlar seem to use it in fabric form...so it's used more as a
reinforcement in conjunction with other materials.

<<Most homebrew and small shop composites aren't designed and
fabricated well enough to take full advantage of glass'
properties, let alone carbon. but if you are using carbon for its
appearance, then at least you are being honest with yourself.
Take care in the mounting, most failure I have seen on composite
housings, covers and decorative structures could have been
prevented by proper mounting. Obviously, if a failure can cause
composite bits to fall of on the engine side of the aircleaner,
its worth some extra care.>>

I think that if you're just gonna make a simple intake plenum out of carbon
fiber...you can do a pretty good job without having to take too many
precautions. Such a part isn't stressed too much and it shouldn't even really
get that hot. Of course, in my case, I'm probably just going to use carbon
fiber to make simple body panels like hoods and trunk lids (mostly for the
looks), and save the shiny chrome for the engine compartment.  :)

Van