In-tank fuel pumps

Squash mpc at genevaonline.com
Wed Feb 11 19:43:24 GMT 1998

Joe Boucher wrote:

> I had the parts man sell me the stock in-tank pump for the 454SS truck.
> Then I had him look up the part numbers for the 350, 305, 4.3 engines.
> Would you care to quess?  They all used the same part number.  I hope
> the 4.3 has a big return line in it.

I went nuts and bought a pump made for a TPI 350.  Rated at 30-40psi and
flows 40GPH with 13.3 volts.  The book at farm and fleet actually had
the pressures and flow rates in it!  I WANT a copy of that book.  The
pump was $49 with a 1 year warranty.

Now, the pump that came with the fuel injection kit flows 410 lb/hr @
15psi, which is around 79GPH @ 15psi.  Should the pump i choose work for
me?  I use around 15-17 psi on a 454 4bbl TBI.  There was a corvette
pump rated at 75-80psi with 40GPH flow available.

The only problem is that i don't have a connector to fit it.  I am
thinking of just soldering the wires to the connector.  That way there
is no chance of them coming loose (i'm very afraid of blowing my tank
up!!).  Also, is the body of the pump somehow grounded?  I know that the
ground comes from a wire that goes out of the tank, but KABOOM!  I am
just curious.  Also, mine came with a foam cover.  Is this a heat
shield?  Do i need to use it?  TIA
--
Andy Quaas