Electronic valve control

Robert Humphris r.humphris at indigo-avs.com
Thu Feb 12 14:16:55 GMT 1998

I had an idea a few years ago which would solve the valve problems, but
I am not going to tell any one about it unless you promise not to go and
make the prototype and sell it for huge sum of money, I want the
patent... or I will swap the design for a cone shaped hat...

Anyway, the idea is this ( and no it probably won't work ) insted of
valves with springs, you have a metal rod in both the inlet and exhaust
port.  The rod is cut so that at zero degrees a hole the size of the
port is exposed, thus air/exhaust can flow down the port, through the
hole.  at 90degrees the hole will be facing away from the port, thus
exposing the metal of the rod and therefore closing the port.

If you use a solenoid on a level which is connected to the rod, the
opening and closing will take less effort than a spring, and provide
just as good a seal.

The fact is that ports would no longer need to be circular, so you can
have a much larger inlet and exhaust width, should one be wanted. plus
the timing would be computer controlled.

You may or may not think that this idea would work. unfortunaley due to
my insanity I care very little.

Rob Humphris -- Too fat to run, too stupid to hide.