A couple of novice questions

Kevin W. Krooss kwk at echonyc.com
Fri Feb 13 13:46:26 GMT 1998

I've got a couple of "newbie" questions that came to mind...

1) Is a modified ECM EPROM a violation of copyright? I know changing
the maps (data) might not be a violation, but I'd also have to carry a copy
of the original microprocessor code too. Is this in the public domain or
is it just something no OEM bothers to enforce?

2) Would it be possible to use a larger size EPROM and wire up some kind
of switch so I could hold the original maps and code, and a copy of the
modified maps in the upper area. Switching from one bank to the other (with
the ECM unplugged of course). This way I could do semi-live comparisons or
revert back to the original maps if needed.

I understand pull-up resistors and how to wire up the address lines, I
figure it's possible, I guess I wanted to know if anyone though it's worth
it or practical.

Might it make more sense to disassemble the code and have the firmware point
to the original maps or the modified maps based on some toggle/flag/signal
(stomping on the gas peddle 3 times or flipping a switch or something...
whatever, you get the idea).

I understand that much of this one depends on address lines, addressing
ability of the CPU, etc... Assuming that it's *possible*, (in my case an
older motronic) is it a good idea from a practical standpoint. What would
happen if I switched maps while the car was running, while is was moving?)

Thank you.