Adapter

Ludis Langens ludis at cruzers.com
Sun Feb 15 12:48:56 GMT 1998

bruce plecan <nacelp at bright.net> wrote:
> I have now read thru every catalog I have looking for a
> IDE pc board header,  what's the trick.  I have found
> at least 50 different alphabet phrased connectors,
> headers, and not one IDE..  I want to do calpaks
> without removing the proms.  Does anyone have a
> Source, Phone Number, and Part Number?.

Here's an idea to try:  get an IDC (Insulation Displacement Connector)
male header with enough pins to fit the calpak, a 28 pin IDC DIP plug,
and a short length of 28 wire ribbon cable.  Mash one end of the ribbon
cable into the correct end of the header, the other end of the cable
into the DIP plug.  The calpak fits into the header, and the DIP plug
fits into your programmer's ZIF socket.  No soldering, bending pins,
etching PCBs, or wiring wrapping.  In short, no muss, no fuss.

I had no trouble finding the needed parts in both the Jameco and JDR
catalogs.

Wayne Blair <wayneb at foxln.com.au> wrote:
> Is the desired job to read calpaks(MEMCAL we call them) while they are
> still in the ECU. If so that may mean you want an edge connector similar to
> the ISA bus connector of a PC, the PC connector is 2 rows of 31 pins the
> ECU's I've seen are 2 rows of 30 pins.
>
> If this edge connector allows this I'd like to find out more, it could
> certainly enhance the connection hardware of my live programming memcal
> replacement module. If you can help me with info on this I'd be great ful

(Some) of the older C3 ECMs also have a 60 pin edge connector.  (Others)
have a 40 pin subset of the 60.  All the useful CPU signals are there.
You can either watch everything that the CPU does, or take over the CPU
yourself.  I've built a little circuit board with EPROM, RAM, and a
standard serial port.  It has been great for sucking the ROM out of the
ECMs and for hacking the TPU like timer chip.

               unsigned long BinToBCD(unsigned long i) {unsigned long t;
Ludis Langens     return i ? (t = BinToBCD(i >> 1), (t << 1) + (i & 1) +
ludis at cruzers.com            (t + 858993459 >> 2 & 572662306) * 3) : 0;}