GM 1227148 ECM Question

Ludis Langens ludis at cruzers.com
Sun Feb 15 12:49:00 GMT 1998

Mike V <ECMnut at aol.com> wrote:
> I want to take a a popular Buick V6 ecm (1227148) and
> use it in a TRurbo 4 cyl application..   Since it will be a turbo,
> I was hoping to use the GN/T-Type chip as a starting point.
>  (I know it will need some tuning)
>
> Question:  Is there a byte in the chip that specifies the number of cylinders?
> I know this is done in some of the newer P4's, I'm just not sure about the
> older stuff.

The '148 is the worst possible choice.  It is SFI, so you'll need to do
lots of hardware mods to work with four cylinders.  That's in addition
to any software changes.

Take a look at the '84-'86-?? 1.8 turbo pfi 4 (Sunbird et. al.).  The
downside is that the ECM for it doesn't use EPROMs.  Instead, it has a
1K*8 bipolar PROM for the calibration data.

               unsigned long BinToBCD(unsigned long i) {unsigned long t;
Ludis Langens     return i ? (t = BinToBCD(i >> 1), (t << 1) + (i & 1) +
ludis at cruzers.com            (t + 858993459 >> 2 & 572662306) * 3) : 0;}