Variable Compression, Variable Displacement you decide

Gary Derian gderian at cybergate.net
Tue Feb 17 17:52:24 GMT 1998

	An internal combustion engine gets its power by expanding gases at a higher
temperature than it compresses them.  More compression means a greater
difference between compression temperature and expansion temperature which
means more power.  A spark ignition engine is limited by the onset of
detonation which limits compression.  Efficiency is determined by the
expansion ratio.  The greater the expansion, the more energy is extracted
from the hot gasses.  The ultimate in efficiency would be to expand the hot
gasses all the way to atmospheric pressure.  In a conventional piston
engine, compression ratio and expansion ratio are about equal.  It doesn't
have to be this way (Miller Cycle).  Limiting compression to the detonation
limit yet using a high expansion ratio is a good way to improve efficiency.

	A supercharged engine has two stages of compression and only one stage of
expansion.  This is not efficient under boost.  The displacement of the
supercharger determines the actual engine size (in theory).  Therefore a
supercharged engine is like a non-supercharged engine with higher
displacement and compression but no higher expansion.  These engines are not
efficient while running under boost but they make lots of power.  If the
superchargers are bypassed during cruise, then you do have, in effect, a
variable displacement engine.  While bypassed, this engine gains back its
efficiency.  This works well if most of the time, the engine operates at
part throttle and only uses boost for quick passing maneuvers.

	A turbocharged engine has two stages of compression and two stages of
expansion.  This is efficient under boost and turbocharged engines can make
lots more power than supercharged engines.  Again, boosting pressure has the
same effect as increasing engine displacement.

	Because the mechanical compression ratio in either super or turbo charged
engines is limited due to detonation, either engine looses some efficiency
at part throttle to a naturally aspirated engine.  What is best for a
particular car is not so straightforward, though.  There are many other
factors to consider.

Gary Derian <gderian at cybergate.net>