Variable Compression, Variable Displacement you decide

Roger Heflin rah at horizon.hit.net
Wed Feb 18 22:46:21 GMT 1998

> Roger,
>     Don't forget that too much boost at low RPM will cause great stress on
> the connecting rods and crankshaft.  Boosted motors need the inertia of the
> pistons to balance out some of the gas loads.  My question is,  why do you
> want to have all of this complication?

More HP.  I had not thought about the rods begin a problem.  But I guess
they would be.  So to do this you would need a very hardended motor, already
maxed using a normal boost curve and want even more hp.  So what you
are saying is that it is good that boost is not high at low rpm so you
don't blow off the mains, or break the connecting rods.  I am really
trying to think how to get massive hp and still have something driveable.
So really violent cams are out, better computer control is good.

I am about 3 weeks away from building the top end of a motor, with a
DFI.  I am hoping for somewhere around 370-390 at the rear wheels, after
that my options are bottom end, blower or nitrous, so I am trying to
determine what sort of dirty tricks I can do.  I actually would not
think higher boost above say 3k would be doable.  The bottom end
I currently have is supposed to be good for about 550 or so.  Modifing
it pushes it quite a bite beyond that.   I guess the key
is with a system like I mentioned your would be able to tune the
boost curve to maxamize hp, just like you tune fuel curves.  The
real question is can enough hp be gained by doing this to make
it worth while?  Also in some cars certain cylinders seem to collect
more boost than other (higher ve because of intake geometry?), and
are more likely to develop knock, so it might also be useful to be
able to throttle things back when it was those cylinders turn, that
is if momentum can be overcome.  I know everyone on the f-body group
always destroys the last two pistons, so I am guessing they have
the highest ve (by cylinder).

			Roger Heflin