Variable Compression, Variable Displacement you decide

Clare Snyder snyder at huron.net
Fri Feb 20 01:21:25 GMT 1998

Roger Heflin wrote:
> If you set at a fixed rpm with a supercharger (lower rpm) it provides
> a lower boost.

Actually not completely true. A positive displacement supercharger
provides relatively constant boost from idle on up if properly sized and
geared. If the displacement is 1.5 times engine displacement and direct
drive, you have a 50% boost at idle, as well as at WOT, not counting the
effects of flow restriction.

>The only problem with the
> turbos seems to be the time it takes to spool up, which is not so much
> a low rpm issue as a just started going issue.

Correct

> > The second half of this paragraph doesn't quite make sense, so I refer
> > to the bit that says "The power the turbo uses is not free".

Gotta remember, the turbo does not work on exhaust "flow" but on exhaust
"heat" The energy in the exhaust is recaptured, so for all intents and
purposes it is free - if you did not recapture it, all it does is raise
the atmospheric temp.

--
                               _/\_
                    Reply to Clare at snyder.on.ca
                                OR
Remove the R from clsnyder in my E-Mail Address to reply. Stop the
spammers!!!
It's hard to soar like an eagle when your stuck with a bunch of
Turkeys!!!