general cam question

Shannen Durphey shannen at mcn.net
Fri Feb 20 15:47:13 GMT 1998

ECMnut at aol.com wrote:

> <<
>  Generally, advancing the cam increases cranking vacuum and low end
>  response >>
>
> Thanks, I better check my degree wheel....
>  I advance it 4 deg & lost idle vacuum....
> ECM isn't taking it well at all...
>
> Mike V.

  Did you replace a factory timing set with aftermarket 3 keyway type?
Factory (V8) gears are retarded compared to the "straight up" marks on
aftermarket gears.  Look at the relationship between the crank gear
keyway and the timing mark.  Aftermarket gears usually have the 0 deg
timing mark right above the keyway, while factory gears have rotated it
counterclockwise.  One trick is to grind a bevel on the factory crank
gear and install it backwards.

Shannen