Rods

Gary Derian gderian at cybergate.net
Fri Feb 20 18:48:07 GMT 1998

    With no cylinder pressure, the greatest rod/piston stress is at TCD.
High rpm, long stroke and short rods make this worse.  On the power stroke,
gas pressure pushes the piston down and relieves the stress.  Inertia loads
increase with the square of rpm.  Gas loads are proportional to bmep.  What
Corky meant is a good turbo engine at mid rpm (3,000 to 4,000) has less
rod/piston stress than trying to get the same power by turning an atmo
engine at 6,000+.  My comment had to do with high boost at low rpm (1,500)
in which case the gas loads are much higher than the inertia load and cause
a high compressive load on the rods.  This will increase fatigue, squeeze
oil out of bearings and can cause the rods to buckle.

Gary Derian <gderian at cybergate.net>