Zirconia O2 sensor alternate modes of operation

Zack zubenubi at inetport.com
Sun Feb 22 23:21:06 GMT 1998

TK,

Well, the SAE papers I'm reading are using a Zirconia sensor as a current
source, biased to some fixed voltage, which means the load they're putting
on it is basically zero ohms.  Anyway, I found the following in the O2
Sensor FAQ:

>What will damage my O2 sensor?
>
>   <snip>
>Just shorting out the sensor output wire will not hurt the sensor. This
simply grounds the output >voltage to zero. Once the wiring is repaired,
the circuit operates normally.
>   <snip>

Interesting, eh?

Zack