GM DTCs reliability

martin at mgass.demon.co.uk martin at mgass.demon.co.uk
Mon Feb 23 17:15:31 GMT 1998

One of our vehicles (1996 2litre 16v GM Omega) is showing the
occasional check engine light accompanied by rough 'get home' running, symptoms as follows :

1. Put ECU into diagnostic mode and it emits trouble code 10-3-3-5, which I think
is Crank-angle sensor.

2. Engine occasionally stalls on tick-over, only happens when engine is re-started whilst warm
after a run (doesnt' happen from cold).

3. Most tuners take view that this SIMTEC ECU engine has two main
fault areas a) idle sensor clogging up, b) crank angle sensor
failures.  Idle sensor has been cleaned and also plugs checked and
gapped.

I understand that Crank Angle sensor usually plays up as a result of
heat or vibration (but I can't detect any changes in this area).

The question is whether to replace the Crank Angle Sensor (not cheap)
or to look elsewhere for the root cause of the fault.

Anybody any comments/views ?

Thanks

Martin
martin at mgass.demon.co.uk