KISS System

Darryl Snover dsnover at fast.net
Mon Feb 23 17:34:07 GMT 1998

>>     I may be stupid about electronics, but it seems to me that most of
>> the EFI systems out there are way too complex.  Anybody out there
>> building a KISS EFI system that doesn't require operator intervention?
>
>Yep,  been twiddling with an idea for the Bosch K-jetronic system, which
>is what you were describing.  All my system adds is an O2 sensor and a
>stepper motor that will manually controll the control pressure regulator,
>the system will run closed loop, as soon as  a temp sensor trips.  So the
>system will run normally at startup (rich), and when the enging gets up to
>temp, the O2 sensor will begin to feed signals to a box that just
>increments the stepper motor in the proper direction, affecting control
>pressure up, or down, as needed.  The main disadvantage is the system is
>constantly trying to seek out the best mix, and tends to overshoot it,
>though that is a minor control system problem.  If an O2 sensor from those
>new Toyotas was available then a perfect mix could be obtained and
>controlled within a tight ratio.
>
>Dave

Dave (and whoever else is interested),

Later Bosch CIS systems had an O2 sensor in the loop, so you might not have
to re-invent it.  My 1980 Porsche 924 turbo has an O2 sensor that controls
the fuel distributor.  I believe later rabbits and others with CIS-E
systems used similar, and are available for next to nothing at auto
dismantlers all over.

Best Regards,

Darryl Snover
Senior Programmer