MAF vs MAP

lkurek at smtpgate.anl.gov lkurek at smtpgate.anl.gov
Mon Feb 23 18:23:04 GMT 1998

     MAF is a better system theoretically than a MAP system. The reason for
     this is that you are MEASURING airflow/density rather than calculating
     it. In practice, a MAF system is harder to package and there is an
     inverse relationship between peak airflow potential of the MAF and its
     accuracy. The stock GM 3" sensor (i.e. 85-89 TPI) is fairly inadequate
     for a healthy motor (325+hp)...it just won't flow enough air. If I
     could somehow get a late model 3.5" MAF to work with my 89
     harness/computer....that would probably be best...but I have no clue
     if/whether this would work.

     TTYL!

     Larry Kurek