MAF vs MAP

bruce plecan nacelp at bright.net
Mon Feb 23 18:48:02 GMT 1998

ref KV:
GM (OEM) specific
  IMHO it's as much about application as anything.  Both use
feedback from the O2 sensor for the final trimming of injector timing,
so at less than WOT, there is about 0 difference.  Now at WOT,
and for off-highway use racing the MAP is the winner since there
is no MAF restriction.  As I understand things now, on the newest
GMs some use both a MAF, and MAP.  Does anyone know if they
do this for averaging, or backup, or what conditions they use each
for??..
  For ease of initial setup I think MAF wins, since with MAP you have
to do a point by point calibration...
Bruce    Officer, excuse me, but if I promise to wear my cone shaped
             hat all day can you let me slide with just a warning??..
             How about if I wear the hat and use the bus all day??..