FW: MAF Upgrad

Joe Boucher BoucherJC at lmtas.lmco.com
Tue Feb 24 22:40:45 GMT 1998

No, the idea Mr. Mathews and I had (it's nice to know other  people are as deranged
as yourself!) was to mount the MAF sensor INSIDE a larger tube.  Don't touch the
original housing.  Just let the air flow through and around the original housing.
My first assumption was the MAF ECU's used look up tables like the MAF computers.
If this isn't so, then the changing of the eprom data maybe more difficult than a
MAP ECU.

Fluid mechanics was my weakest subject.  Part of the reason was nothing about
compressible flow is linear if the flow and pressure ranges are very wide.  In other
words I haven't a clue about the linearity of the flow vs. the MAF area.  Part of
the problem is the percentage of the air flow through or around the MAF could change
from idle to full throttle.  It would be a fun problem to figure out.

Joe Boucher
'70 RS/SS Camaro  '81 TBI Suburban