Forced induction (was variable (non variable) whatever...)

Robert Humphris r.humphris at indigo-avs.com
Wed Feb 25 08:58:56 GMT 1998

><snip, some well informed and correct information>
>
>Properly tuned turbo car's don't have any lag. Audi 1.8T, newer SAAB's,
>Volvo's, 911's. Just imagine if they used ball bearing center housings.

Don't get me wrong, you are correct in what you say, but it must be
borne in mind that:

The reason that these cars have little or no lag is because they run
much higer compression engines, and use a smaller amount of turbo
pressure.  This means that the turbo is being driven by a properly
combusing, high pressure exhaust.

Add the fact that these are smaller turbo's which by definition are less
laggy and you can see why they have less lag.

The WRC Cars still have massive turbo's with large ammounts of Lag,
thats why Ford Cosworth Escorts have the lovely anti-lag system, which
is banned on many events.

Rob Humphris