TURBOCOMPOUNDING

Dave Williams dave.williams at chaos.lrk.ar.us
Wed Feb 25 15:53:36 GMT 1998

-> >"The Napier Nomad compounded aircraft engine developed in the early
-> 1950's... >combined a 41.1 liter 12-cylinder horizontally opposed

> 41.1 Liters? and only 4500 hp thats not much over the 100bhp per
> liter that any good race engine can produce.  But this was in the
> 50's so we should give them some credit I suppose.

 Yes, but typical aircraft engine type testing is 1000 (one THOUSAND)
hours at full throttle without failure.  That's just the type test;
they're expected to perform well beyond that in service, where they'll
be run at 80% of or so full throttle most of the time.

 An automobile engine rarely puts out more than 25% of its rated output
and seldom approaches peak RPM; they spend most of their time idling,
putting about town, or loafing on the freeway at part throttle.  A
thousand hours would be 60,000 miles at 60mph, but we're talking full
power here, so a more accurate comparison would be 30,000 miles at
120mph.  How many car engines are going to run 30,000 miles wide open?

==dave.williams at chaos.lrk.ar.us===http://home1.gte.net/42/index.htm==
I've got a secret / I've been hiding / under my skin / | Who are you?
my heart is human / my blood is boiling / my brain IBM |   who, who?