Forced induction (was variable (non variable) whatever...)

Joe Boucher BoucherJC at lmtas.lmco.com
Wed Feb 25 16:20:10 GMT 1998

I haven't followed this thread, but allow one mech eng to backup another mech eng.
The gas also looses pressure as it expands through the turbine.  For an x amount of
atoms to have less pressure they must occupy more space.  The gases also cool while
they spin the turbine but the pressure loss is the greater effect.  Look at the
return line versus the pressure line of a refrigeration system.  The return line is
always bigger even though the return gases are cooler than the pressure gases. The
pressure is much lower at that point.

Another way to look at the situation.  If you drew an imaginary line at the inlet
and outlet of the turbine and counted the molecules as they flowed past these
lines, the amounts would be the same (mass flow in equals mass flow out).  But the
velocities are different.   The inlet is much faster.  The internal energy (heat
energy) of the molecules is used to spin the turbine so the internal energy of the
molecules is lower at the exit. The volume occupied by the gas is expanded as part
of the process to convert the gas heat energy to spin the turbine.  The velocity is
slower.  Therefore, the crossection of the exit pipe must be larger to flow the
same amount.

Joe (I don't understand hole and electron flow) Boucher

'70 RS/SS Camaro  '81 TBI Suburban