FW: MAF Upgrad

Joe Boucher BoucherJC at lmtas.lmco.com
Thu Feb 26 17:00:15 GMT 1998

Maybe we should take a step back and reconsider the dissection method.

I pulled out my first FI book, "Computerized Engine Controls" by Dick H. King.
It's a text book for classroom instruction of auto technicians for GM, Ford and
Chrysler FI systems from '81 to '90.  It describes the various components and a
top level overview of how the systems work.

There is a blow apart of the two types of MAF's used at that time.  One was
made by Delco and one by Bosch, as reported earlier by  John Bucknell.  I think
the Delco maybe ripe for pulling apart and installing the guts in a larger
tube.  I scanned and posted the GM "printed with permission of the GM training
group" blow apart diagram to the ftp site. MAF_DSCR.ZIP
(ftp://efi332.eng.ohio-state.edu/inside).

The text included mentions a look up table associated with the MAF readings, so
either the dissection method or the bypass method can be made to work if the
tables can be found.  I am remembering my schooling and previous experiences
and have come up with a setup to calibrate some of these ideas.  But the setups
require manometers and o-scopes which I don't have.

Joe Boucher
'70 RS/SS Camaro  '81 TBI Suburban