Leaded/Unleaded

Frederic Breitwieser frederic.breitwieser at mcione.com
Fri Jan 2 15:26:15 GMT 1998

>a) On a GM vehicle, 2ltr 16V, ECU,  CAT, EGR, knock sensor etc.
>   Removing the CAT and running on Leaded fuel (higher octane rating).
>  Would ECU be able to tell ?, would any sensors (eg lamda) get
>damaged ?

Howdy.

Without a doubt, the O2 (Lambda) and Cat would be damaged with leaded fuel.
 Other than that, your car will adjust once a few gallons roam through the
engine.  I've done it, though not using the OEM computer, but an
aftermarket system (Haltach in my case).  Racing gasoline at the tracks, if
leaded, generally has a higher octane level than unleaded pump gasoline,
hence why this was necessary.

>c) What would be a suitable time/mileage...i.e. how long would any
>lead deposits linger in the engine ?

Not very long, I'm going to guess here and say maybe a tankful or so.

Frederic Breitwieser
Bridgeport, CT 06606

http://www.xephic.dynip.com/

---