Leaded/Unleaded

sfg sfgent at ac.net
Fri Jan 2 16:25:47 GMT 1998

martin at mgass.demon.co.uk wrote:

> Anybody have ideas on the consequences of the following actions  ?:
>
> a) On a GM vehicle, 2ltr 16V, ECU,  CAT, EGR, knock sensor etc.
>    Removing the CAT and running on Leaded fuel (higher octane rating).
>   Would ECU be able to tell ?, would any sensors (eg lamda) get
> damaged ?
>
> b) At some later time reverting to unleaded then replacing the CAT,
> after allowing a suitable time/mileage to 'flush' out any lead
> deposits.
>
> c) What would be a suitable time/mileage...i.e. how long would any
> lead deposits linger in the engine ?
>
> Martin
> martin at mgass.demon.co.uk
Martin, I drove my '87 Blazer on leaded fuel for 2 years with the CAT
installed, and never had the check-engine light come on. When I
returned to the USA I installed a new CAT and drove it for a month
or so, then passed the emissions test. I did have to refit the proper
195F thermostat to pass idle CO however (was running 180F). Steve