Leaded/Unleaded

Clare Snyder clsnyde at ibm.net
Tue Jan 6 13:11:54 GMT 1998

Frederic Breitwieser wrote:

> >When lead was taken out of the gas, it was determined that running one
> >tankful of leaded in ten was more than enough to prevent damage to
> >valves and seats on the older engines, for what that's worth.
>
> That's an interesting factoid, I certainly didn't know that.  When unleaded
> first disappeared, I panic'd and had a 3-angle valve job done, as well an
> overall re-build done as to avoid the hassle entirely.  Might have saved me
> a few bucks.
>
> Next time :)
>
> Frederic Breitwieser
> Bridgeport, CT 06606
>
> http://www.xephic.dynip.com/
>
> ---
The three angle may have done more harm than good. If hardened seats
were not installed you just removed the "protected" layer of the seat,
exposing raw iron.The lead coating does not take much to develop, and
lasts a long time. If you don't believe me, ask a catalytic converter! A
small amount of TL is all that is required for protection.
--
                                _/\_

                             NOTE!!!!
                  To avoid bouncing E-Mail messages
                     Reply to Clare at snyder.on.ca
                                OR
Remove the R from clsnyder in my E-Mail Address to reply. Stop the
spammers!!!
It's hard to soar like an eagle when your stuck with a bunch of
Turkeys!!!