Using PLC?

RICHARD LARSON RDSS-LARSON at worldnet.att.net
Sat Jan 17 01:05:03 GMT 1998

Tregacorp wrote:

> I am interested in using a PLC to control a fuel injection system, anyone
> currently attempting this project, and is it feasible?  I have seen someone
> using a pc, but would like to use a low cost plc.
>
> Kevin

I am a programmer of plc's of several brands.  It would probably be
feasible and quite easy to accomplish.  Allen-Bradley now has a small
processor called a micrologic 1000 which is comming out with a analog
inut and output built.  These units are about 7" long by 2" thich and
2.5: wide.  They provide their own 24 vdc for devices and can run a 500
rung program in as little as 1 ms.  I dont readily know if they have a
dc powered unit but if Allen Bradley has gotten into this area, then
other manufacturers have also or are already there.  It would be qiute
easy to do the mapping, timming, and analog input/outputs on a plc and
the plc is designed for machine control.  Also several manufacturers
have quite a selection of MMI's (Machine-Man-Interface)software which
interface the plc's directly with a PC for graphical analysis, display,
and input/programming.  the drawback is that some of these are high
dollar.  The Micrologics can be had for as little as 300.00 up depending
on how many inputs and outputs you need.

And no I don't work for any manufacturer of PLC's so I am not
recomending any particular one over the other.  I just happen to be
using Allen Bradley in a current project.

I would be curious if you pursue this and what your findings are.

Hope I have shed some light and not told you what you already know.