FI controller

Martin Hill EAXMJHI at ean2.mecheng.nottingham.ac.uk
Mon Jan 19 11:13:01 GMT 1998

> Hi all,
>         I have a few questions on my EFI conversion. I have a Rover V8 that
> I'm going to convert from carbs to EFI. I have a late model plenum off an
> 1988 Range Rover 3.5L. My question is do any cheap programable efi
> controllers exist?. I visited Haltech personally and the said there F-9
> system is perfect for the job. The down side is that the price of AUS$1500 +
> seting up on a dyno is way out of reach. I can use the factory Lucas L
> injection components but i'm told there very unreliable (AFM S\h AUS$500 and
> ECU S\h AUS$500). I don't need ignition control as the electronic hall
> effect distributor works great. Surely a low cost EFi controller is
> available? Any help would be appreciated. Also someone locally is using An
> AC-DELCO MAP system off a 1989 onwards Holden 5.0L V8, with reprogramed a
> EPROM ,mounted on a Rover V8 with good results. Is the DELCO system tunable
> and suitable for performance work? I'm also interested in building a 5.0L
> Rover V8 Stroker motor for dual fuel (EFI and LPG) use, any suggestions?. TIA.
> Andrew McKenzie <andmaca at tig.com.au>
> Sydney, Australia
> 1980(?) Rover 3500 S V8 Series 1 Update 5 Speed Hybrid
> Phone: (H) 61 (2)9528-8899

There are a few companies now who do simple controllers for fi.  They
basically work off the engine speed and throttle position.  They tend
to be around u300.  As for the stroker.  If you have the 3.5 block,
then real steel in the u.k. will do a stroker kit to take it to 4.3l,
or with the 3.9 block this goes to 4.8l.  Ian Richardson at Wildcat Engineering do some
cranks, rods and pistons which are supposed to be stronger for the
new pegasus block, which will take it to 5l, or if you are feeling
really adventurous they have some modified blocks which you can take
to 6l.  Although the blocks are around u2000 for these.

Martin