Daewoo Cielo 150i chip/ EGR valves

Carl Summers InnovativeTechnologies at worldnet.att.net
Mon Jan 19 16:54:50 GMT 1998

martin at mgass.demon.co.uk wrote:

> Thoughts about EGR valves :
>
> Disconnecting the EGR connection to the ECU may cause check engine
> code....maybe another way is as follows :
> - If the EGR allows exhaust gas to enter the inlet by opening up
> passageways in the block (I can't see any obvious external connection
> on my 16V 2.0L GM) then why not physically remove the EGR from the
> block....fabricate a suitable blanking plate from a flat piece of
> metal to fit between the EGR and the block...then put the plate and
> EGR back on.
> This would prevent exhuast gas getting into the inlet whilst also
> keeping the ECU happy because it can see the EGR electrical
> connection and the EGR thinks it is working normally.
> - Also easy to remove at yearly emissions test time !
> - Any effects likely on CAT ?
>
> Anybody have any views/comments ?
>
> Martin
> martin at mgass.demon.co.uk

Martin,
On an efi vehicle that has egr capacity, it always has either an egr
table or "coefficient" that changes the amount of fuel entering the
engine when the egr is activated,,,,,,when you stop the exhaust from
coming in the intake manifold and the computer still thinks it is there,
it will definately go lean, and if there are diagnostics for this it
will turn the check engine light on.  The only way to stop this is to
turn the temp request for egr all the way up(in the chip) so it will
never try to open the egr,,this will also stop the light from coming
on.....I know where this is in most of the GM computers but haven't
found it in the 7730 with an AUJP bin file,,,so if anyone knows where
this is please advise,,it would sure save me alot of time trying to find
it....Thanks,
-Carl Summers