ALDL project

Will Honea whonea at codenet.net
Mon Jan 19 17:10:20 GMT 1998

** Reply to note from steve ravet <steve at imes.com> Mon, 19 Jan 1998 13:31:00 +0000
> Hi Will, I think you might be on the wrong track. SAEJ1850 is OBD-II which has only come around in the
> last couple years. Previously all manufacturers invented their own methods of communicating with ECMs.
> GMs diagnostic link was called ALDL, and came in two major flavors as noted in the archives, 160 baud
> and 8192 baud. Your wife's Cimmaron is ALDL, not OBD-II. Sorry...

I'm only too aware of that <g>.  My feeling is that any sucessful solution on ALDL will likely lead to a
follow-on OBD-II effort - all those old GM's are gonna die one of these days - mine is really trying (in
more ways than one).

I just stumbled in here.  What's the status of efforts to access the ALDL?  Slogging thru the archives, I got
the feeling that it was getting pretty well along, at least as far as the raw aquisition effort went.  Any
progress on decoding specifc info from the link?  And thanks for the reply.

Will Honea
whonea at codenet.net