GM 16pin Diagnostic Socket

martin at mgass.demon.co.uk martin at mgass.demon.co.uk
Wed Jan 21 10:17:20 GMT 1998

I have a 1996 GM 2.0L 16V that has a 16 pin diagnostic
socket.

- Does this 16pin socket mean its got OBDII, does the old 10pin
ALDL socket not have OBDII ?  Was this 10 pin socket predominantly
used with Bosch ECUs and early SimTec ? When and with what ECU's was
the 16 pin socket introduced ?

- Anybody have any example freeware/shareware that can drive the diagnostics with a
laptop PC that they could e-mail me ?

- I am looking to write my own diagnostic/programming software,
anybody have any advice ?

- Anybody know where could I purchase a plug for the16 pin socket to connect it to a PC ?

Martin

martin at mgass.demon.co.uk