72 Stang to EFI conversion

Scott Shotton stucky at interaccess.com
Wed Jan 28 02:36:55 GMT 1998

Tim Raymond wrote:

> Hi everyone,
> I'm new to this list. I've been reading it for a couple weeks now and I
> could use some help. I'm in the process of trying to install a 5.0L
> HO from a 90 mustang in my 72. I've talked to the people at windsor-fox and
> they pointed out only a few mods that needed to be taken care of to get this
> thing to bolt in. My big problem is I don't know exactly what emmisions
> components I need in order to keep the computer from f-ing up. All I have
> now is the engine and anything attached directly to it. I don't currently
> have the computer or MAF sensor. I need to know if there are any other
> components that are not attached directly to the engine like the various
> solenoids, etc.. If anybody here has tried this and has any advice I would
> appreciate it.
>
> Tim

Me again.

Something else I just thought of...  the distributor with the TFI IV
module and the harness with the SPOUT connector.  Very important parts.
MAP/MAF, TPS, ECT all play parts in advance curves.  The pickup inside
the distributor is also nesc. for the PCM.  It sends a cranck signal to
the PCM.  Without it:  no tach input, no injector pulse width output,
etc.

Reccomendation:  check into a later model ford EEC IV engine management
system that has a data stream.  That way you can watch values and
diagnose problems with a conventional scanner.  Ford was late to jump
this band wagon and it is a real shame.  However, since I am Factory
Ford trained, I understand how to diagnose problems in these systems and
therefore have job security at my full time technical job.

Talk to you later.
Ex Factory Ford Tech
Full time everything tech (currently)
Scott