ReBurned up a chip ha..

Christopher Bruno bruno at icd.teradyne.com
Thu Jan 29 15:13:58 GMT 1998

TurboDave wrote:

> I was about 10 when I thought (maybe thats the wrong word...obsessed) I
> needed a bigger electromagnet for my magnetic eductor gun.  Wound all
> the magnet wire off a deflection yoke onto the biggest bolt I cud find
> and plugged it into main.  Boy that made a lot of noise at 60 Hz lying
> on my workbench.  Had one hand on the plug just in case....reaction time
> measured in nanosec.  One thing that's saved me all these years...you
> gotta have a safety valve....just in case reality overcomes theory.
>
> TurboDave

Heh, that reminds me of a story when I was bout the same age.  I
thought that if the little tiny filament in the lightbulb didn't
burn out just because the filament was encased in gas, then using
a more 'robust' filament would easily be able to light up without
a bulb.  So a took some lamp cord and at the open ends put about
1 sheet of folded up tin-foil.  Plugged her in and 'KABOOM'.  Scared
me shitless.  Gave my parents a lot of gray hairs that day...

--
Christopher Bruno
Teradyne
bruno at icd.teradyne.com