ISO 9141

xxalexx at ix.netcom.com xxalexx at ix.netcom.com
Fri Jan 30 01:51:52 GMT 1998

> Date:          Thu, 29 Jan 1998 11:23:53 -0700
> To:            diy_efi at efi332.eng.ohio-state.edu
> From:          Land Shark <lndshrk at xmission.com>
> Subject:       Re: ISO 9141

> At 09:34 AM 1/29/98 -0700, you wrote:
> >Hey all,
> >
> >Is 9141 just a different electrical standard, or do the message formats differ? If so, where (and I'm prepared to pay for it) do I get the details. I already have HS-3000 from SAE but I can't find t>
>  Umm ISO standard 9141 is most certainly available from the American National Standards Institute.. ANSI..
>
>  If you are trying to do OBD-II stuff over ISO-9141, the product already exists and is cheap..
>
>  ISO-9141 and 9141/2 (aka 9141/CARB) are merely the base protocols for communication.. from there one of any one of
>  a number of "Keyword Protocols" developed by the OEM's are used.. and they are proprietary..
>
>  Only the basic OBD-II stuff is "standard" and "available"
>
>  Jim C.

In SAE HS-3000 the ISO doucument number and ANSI address is listed
under references 2.1.2 of every document. I think there was a new
updated standard referenced in FR.
I developed module and scan tool 3 yrs ago.  It seems that ISO 9141
is the most open std. since follows J1979 so all codes are available.
I was rather surprised that J1979 is not used by GM since I thought
was mandated.  I  just decoded GM VPW J1290 which is not very open,
due to data packets. The manufactures are required to release all
info. to scan tool makers.  If you now how to obtain this info. let
me know.  I applied for membership in ETI but never heard anything,
and phone calls where never returned.
Alex