What SU stands for -LJet DJet

Mattz mattz at pond.com
Thu Jul 9 03:50:22 GMT 1998

-----Original Message-----
From: Chris Rhodin <chris at imageio.com>
To: 'diy_efi at efi332.eng.ohio-state.edu' <diy_efi at efi332.eng.ohio-state.edu>
Date: Wednesday, July 08, 1998 4:38 PM
Subject: RE: What SU stands for

My 1972 Renault R-17 had Bosch D-Jetronic fuel injection in it.  This was an
all electronic (with the exception of the thermo-time switch) system that
I've seen in VWs from the late-sixties.  It used an LVDT to measure the
manifold pressure and an analog computer to set the pulse width, the
distributor had an extra set of contacts that provided timing information to
the computer.  By the mid-seventies Bosch had moved away from the electronic
systems in favor of the mechanical CIS systems.

As far as I know this is the earliest all electronic FI produced in volume
(emphasis on volume).

Chris

The type3's had the d-jetronic back in about 68' very interesting system..
many are still in use today.. in 1974 1/2 vw put the first l-jetronic
systems on the bug. (I currently HAVE a 75' l-jetronic) they are very easy
to work on. I do house calls for mechanics who can not fix them.. I just got
back from a '79 triple white convert. It had a bad pressure regulator in
it..  Anywise, the rabbits I believe came outta the factory with k-jet, that
was about 76'-77' was it not ?

The k-jet system is really interesting.. I am seeing a trend for the baja
vws owners to put k-jet on there buggies.. they seem to like it.. I would
rather stick with the l-jet but what do I know..  (what are the advantages/
disadvantages of the cis system vs pulsed anyhow?)

I know I opened up a bag of worms with that last one..

have a good one..