555 EFI again...

Wen Yen Chan chanwe at ecf.utoronto.ca
Fri Jul 10 13:18:10 GMT 1998

A while back when I was designing a linear PWM for a resonant mode
switching supply (the Prof. would not let us use a PWM chip) my partner
and I used a current source to charge the timing cap. We used a lin.
voltage reg. (78L05...dirt cheap $0.07) rigged as a current source. We
tied the output of the device to one end of a resistor and the 'ground'
pin to the other end of the resistor. The current was taken off of the
'ground' pin. Since the regulator maintains a constant voltage between its
output and 'ground' pin a constant current can be pulled off the 'ground'
pin. The output current is set by the (reg. voltage)/(reference
resistance) + about 25uA. Assuming the current your planning on sourcing
is much greater than 25uA the regulator's supply current can be ignored.

We found that this setup was much stiffer than any current mirror we could
design for the same price. Temperature stability was a small nuisance but
it was still better than what we would have achieved with discrete parts.

l8tr

Wen