Fw: Burners Erasers Late breaking news

Roger Heflin rah at horizon.hit.net
Wed Jul 15 23:00:47 GMT 1998

> Wow, cool, this is all very new to me. Thanks for the info.
>
> >On other notes, most (all?) of the custom tuners seem to start with
> >the prom you are running in the car right now.  There are several
> >numbers on the prom in your car, and with one of those numbers your
> >can get a copy of your original prom from GM for about $40.
>
> Yeah seems logical, I just can't go tinkering with this stuff on  my car
> without having at least a pretty good idea of what i'm doing. It's my daily
> driver.  I'm glad to know that I can get another PROM assembly though. I
> bought an aftermarket PROM and it altered the personality of the car in a
> very bad way so it's been shipped back and I'll put the money into my own
> equipment.

The cookie cutter aftermarket proms are pretty useless.  The custom ones
can improve things a bit.  I am going to have to learn to do my own also.

Since someone already worked on my prom, I am going to get the original
and diff the two binary images.  And on top of that I have several
versions that have minor changes that I will also diff to see if I
can figure out exactly what was done.

> >What year of 5.7L camaro is it?  I have a 93 Z28 (350/5.7L LT1)
>
> It's an '89 Iroc-Z. :) Has anyone here figured out how to modify (DIY
> style) the '94+ ECM with the flash memory instead of a PROM? Just curious....

There are tools available to redo a 94+ ECM.  The tuner I used I have seen
him reprogram a 94+ ECM.  He had some sort of device that plugged into a
laptop and then into the diag connector and he used it to reprogram his
car.  He does this at least part time and maybe full time, so it could
be a pretty expensive tool that he had.  Chips are much easier, you
can have several different ones that they are pretty easy to changed,
and you don't have those accidents (ie you get sloppy and turn the
car off in the middle and need to have the computer redone by someone
else).

				Roger