Thermal Sensor and Load Sensor

Matt Watts mwatts at cs.utah.edu
Mon Jul 20 07:00:47 GMT 1998

-----Original Message-----
From: Dave J. Andruczyk <dave at scarlet.buffalostate.edu>
To: diy_efi at efi332.eng.ohio-state.edu <diy_efi at efi332.eng.ohio-state.edu>
Date: Sunday, July 19, 1998 10:05 PM
Subject: Re: Thermal Sensor and Load Sensor

>> A hydraulic scheme would be fairly well damped, but it occurs to me
>> that a low viscosity fluid (air?), a fast pressure sensor (MPX####),
>> and a crank pos sensor might resolve the torque impulses from the
>> individual cylinders. One can imagine uses for such info.
>
>what about a hall effect sensor on the flywheel teeth,  with the number
>of teeth an ECM would be able to \detect misfires by measuring angular
>velocity changes, and to correct accordingly.    I wonder if that would
>work as a detonation detection.  Has anyone tried sampling
>velocity/acceleration of the crank at the flywheel during detonation??
>might be a simpler way than using a knock sensor to see detonation. ( I.e
>rapid change in angular velocity, due to bad power stroke(s), plus easily
>adaptable to ANY engine..

I wondered this myself.  Would it be able to determine whether it was
a misfire of consecutive cylinders or someone dumping the clutch?  Don't
know...  Could take a bit of data massaging to extract useful info.  I'm
also not certain about the various flywheels (rotational momentum) that
one would have to calibrate for.  Like most things, probably doable, but
would the solution be worth the effort.  Hmm...