force sensor...

Andrew W. Macfadyen am018 at post.almac.co.uk
Fri Jul 24 08:06:43 GMT 1998

John Honnold wrote:

> Daniel:
>
>     Most dynamometers have a strain gauge built in.  How else could you
> measure torque on a water break dyno.?

Simple a spring balance and a torque arm, works on any size of dyno 20 odd
years back I remember doing a lab on the single cylinder prototype for the P
& J type Doxford  slow speed marine engines  --- it was  the height of a 3
story building and the cylinder  bore was measured in metres  and the torque
readings came from just such a simple set up.  The torque was massive it
only did about 80 RPM full out.

>  Most strain gauges have very
> good temperature stability and the fit between the engine and the
> stand.  When the engine pivots, it pulls( or pushes ) on the strain
> gauge.  Measuring across the strain gauage and supplying this value to
> one side of a bridge will give you pretty torque measurement.

Your confusing a strain gauge with a load cell using strain gauges. If   use
a bar with strain gauges mounted on it in  loaded straight  compression or
tension you will get poor resolution. What's needed is  to mount the gauges
on  either a member in simple bending or a proven design such as the "S
Block" which uses a combination of bending and design  features which
concentrate the stress.

A resistance strain gauge is a tiny foil made of resistance wire or
semi-conductor which is bonded to the stress bearing component in the
direction of the stress you want to measure.  In the simplest terms:

Strain = change in length/original length

Stress = load/ cross sectional area

and both are related by the Young's modulus  for the material     "E"

Within elastic limits   Young's Modulus = Stress/Strain

 Because the strain gauge is bonded to the structural member it change
length by the same amount when loaded  changing the resistance of the gauge.