Diacom plus on Pentium laptops

Ken Kelly kenkelly at lucent.com
Thu Jul 30 13:42:03 GMT 1998

Dave,
	Actually a Uart will work fine if you can get within 3% of
the desired frequency, and a modern Uart can do the 8160,
and 160 hertz rates within the 3%. The issues with Diacom
not using the serial port are:

	1) The ALDL voltages are 0 to 5 Volts or 0 to 12 volts.
RS-232 voltage spec is -10 to +10. So voltage level
converters and a negitive voltage power supply would be
needed.

	2) The diacom needs several control leads to switch the
Control resistors, etc. They found it easy to use the 8 data
bits on the parallel port for this.

	Certainly a dedicated interface box to do the level
shifting and control function feeding to the UART would have
been a more elegant & robust solution, but it would have
been more expensive.

		Ken