Twin injector system?

Stuart Baly S.Baly at bom.gov.au
Wed Jul 1 01:32:23 GMT 1998

Sandy wrote:
>ie, the fuel at idle still must have a small squirt. As we make injectors
>larger, we must shorten the low speed pulse time. This is not always
>possible to keep it operating correctly with that short of a cycle. You
>have a couple of options, get peak/hold injectors which have a faster cycle
>time or use 2 sets of injectors. The problem with some peak/hold injectors
>is that they are for large flowing applications, and typically have poor
>spray patters at lower speeds. But you get the idea.

I've got this idea, but having never got off my butt and seriously played with
an injection system, it may not be worth the usual 0.02c charge for ideas on
this list. So everybody humor me for a few moments...

The way I see it, the poor response at short cycle times is due to the long
rise time of the injector current, due to the inductance of the injector coil.
The rise time is determined by the voltage across the injector (V=Ldi/dt and
all that). So, if a higher voltage could be used (e.g. using a DC-DC converter
to charge a cap to say 60V or so, then dumping the energy from the cap into the
injector coil at the start of the injector cycle), then the injector could be
opened faster and shorter pulse widths could be used. Sort of like peak and
hold with a much bigger peak. The cap could be sized so that its stored energy
would be just enough to open the injector. A holding current could then be
applied until the end of the pulse.

I did a patent search and couldn't find anything similar to this, so it's
either a really good idea or a really bad idea. Any flames/derisive
laughter/questions to the list please.

Ta,
Stuart.