Coils for Ion

garfield at pilgrimhouse.com garfield at pilgrimhouse.com
Mon Jun 1 22:31:10 GMT 1998

On Mon, 01 Jun 1998 14:09:36 -0700, Sandy <sganz at wgn.net> wrote:

>Check out M&W Ignitions page, lots of varients of coils, and no BS
>Connectors, sorry not the HV tower connector, but at least not those stupid
>GM connectors. Might even make you happy Gar ;-)

I DID, but they're over in Oz, and I WOULD like to find a coil that has
a donor car findable in the US. SomeOthem coils make me think they could
be some Commode specials (hee, sorry mates, I couldn't pass it up), or
whatever them cars are called they make down there under GM license.

They DO have some nice ones, and I've already sent them an inquiry (did
last week, in fact), and they wanted to know WHY I was looking for a
particular type of coil, so maybe they'd be interested enough in our ION
to help us out with some suitable coils. Most places couldn't give a rip
WHY you're looking for insolated secondaries. They just think yer
strange!

Anyway, if worst comes and we have to go out-country to get suitable
coils, at least M&W IS likely to have some that will work.

Just that I woulda thot this cain't be THIS hard in the US?? Argh,
gnash. Man, if I could only get somethin like that GM SmartCoil, without
the "smarts". I looked at a Nissan coil today, at the suggestion of
SteveMaxBoost (who's gonna look further), and they had this one cherry
lil per-plug-coil with an isolated primary, BUT the secondary has some
kinda diode or transorb or built-in gap, cus there was NO DC continuity
between the HV tower the secondary's gnd lead. Whimper. I just stood
their looking at it, wishin I could make it into something it wasn't.
Whimper. Other than the fact that I couldn't use the secondary, isolated
or no, to measure ionization current, (other than that, Mrs. Lincoln,
how was the play), other than that it was PERFECT! Small, light, nice
low voltage terminals, I coulda cried! Snivel.

Gar