Coils for Ion

garfield at pilgrimhouse.com garfield at pilgrimhouse.com
Tue Jun 2 03:19:57 GMT 1998

On Mon, 01 Jun 1998 21:30:19 -0500, Walter Petermann
<corsaro at brokersys.com> wrote:

>Gar, I thought you guys were all experienced junk yard
>hunters! Anyways, this thing isn't doing me any good sitting here.
>I'm never going to work on a *@%# Mits. again. If you or someone else wants to
>put it to use, it's yours.

Nah, the info/intel on what's available is worth far more than a mere
"sample". You keep that coil yerself, dude, cuz you may wanna use it for
your OWN Ion experiments, shortly. Besides, have you EVER had to find a
Mits car in the yards, when you REALLY needed one? There's a reason why
their parts are soooo expensive. Their VOLUME isn't very high, even out
here in the Yuppie State of the California.

>PS I found a lot of Ion circuits. Free lit on the
>'interpretation'
>of currents is a bit thin, except from SAE papers. Looks
>like a trip to the
>library.

Good on ya. Go for it. In one of the "ionization" patents is a
discussion of interpretation of the raw signal, but it IS pretty basic.
Funny thang is, them SAE papers are likely to tell you what "could be"
rather than the SAAB papers, that tell you what IS.

The way I figure it, like in EGOR's case, one hour on a real bench is
worth a thousand in the books. And with ION, while the simple
fire/misfire detection may be a dirt simple ionization current
threshold, I figure a good session or two on the dyno stands of some of
our more "technoid" members may be what's needed to determine better
than any SAE paper, what realistically is the shape of KNOCK when seen
thru ION eyes.

Remember that while patents are a great source of "disclosure"
information, their agendas aren't the same as ours. We wanna get
something that works; they wanna cover their butts six ways from Sunday.

Gar