Australian CDI kits READ THIS

garfield at pilgrimhouse.com garfield at pilgrimhouse.com
Tue Jun 2 15:57:44 GMT 1998

On Tue, 02 Jun 98 08:14:40 , "John C. Lagerquist" <vision_a at srv.net>
wrote:

>I may have found a transformer company in the US who will wind
>transformers for CDI for a reasonable price ( about $35.00 ea.).

Yeah but, guys guys, how ya gonna source oneOthem 5yrs from now? Or pass
along your design to posterity, when it's based on custom coils. I'm
just SURE we can find an automotive one if we keep looking. (Well, LAST
week I was SURE, now I'm only "sure". heh).

Gar

P.S. If you're by any chance actually refering to the transformer used
in the CDI inverter, THAT coil is dirt simple to wind yerself, and all
the parts come in the kit. On the other hand, heh, winding yerself a HV
coil that'll take 10A in the primary, and yield 40KV in the secondary,
is no mean feat, and must be insulation-designed vewy cawefuwy to keep
the HV from bleeding all over the place. I guess the objection to a
custom coil applies to the one inside the CDI inverter, too, except that
a 12V-to-300/400V pulse transformer for operating around 20KHz probably
wouldn't be all that hard to find a substitute for. Specialty HV coils,
that's another story entirely.