Coils for Ion (BMW)

garfield at pilgrimhouse.com garfield at pilgrimhouse.com
Tue Jun 2 17:04:08 GMT 1998

On Tue, 2 Jun 1998 16:22:46 GMT0BST, "Martin Hill"
<EAXMJHI at ean2.mecheng.nottingham.ac.uk> wrote:

>I'm afraid I don't know which vehicle they are off.  I do know they
>are BMW, from a car.  On the top of the coil it has written:
>
>BREMI
>118 56T
>
>Hope this helps.

Hey Martin.

Say, I forgot to mention/ask this of ya before, but ericS awhile ago
mentioned the Bosch coils (some, all?) have an internal gap in them for
HV open circuit protection, a nice idea BTW. I realize in my response to
him wayBackWhen, that I misunderstood what he said. He said this gap was
"in parallel" with the HV terminal, meaning IF no plug was there, the
spark would terminate to gnd via this internal gap, rather than
overvoltage the coil, but I THOT at the time this meant there'd be some
DC continuity problems, but now I realize that was wrong. But just to be
sure, since you have the coil in your possession, when you get a chance
could you confirm a DC path from one secondary terminal to the other?
Thanks. I hope to do same at the dealers, assuming I can find that coil,
but if they don't have stock, it'd sure be good to know the result.

As a result of my brainfart, I'd just figured the Bosch coils were a
loss for ION, but NOW I need to go back and reconsider their "menu" of
tasty coils. Hee. On my way over to the BMW dealer shortly. Hope they're
in a good mood for this oddball quest. It takes a certain kinda parts
guy to wanna help out on these weird projects. When ya find em, they can
be a real treasure. Also gonna look at the Mits coil; maybe I'll get
lucky.

On the same sorta issue, I'd sure LOVE to know what Nissan is doing
internal to their coils that blocks DC continuity. Maybe SteveMax the
Nissanman can find out. Real curious about that.

Gar