EGOR

garfield at pilgrimhouse.com garfield at pilgrimhouse.com
Wed Jun 3 05:02:08 GMT 1998

On Tue, 02 Jun 1998 19:59:07 -0700, Sandy <sganz at wgn.net> wrote:

>Not implying that the catalog is expensive, just the rest of their goodies
>;-)

That's funny, I didn't mention them being "worth the price" as a
response/retort to your comment about the parts being expensive!; I
agree all that CFIorCISorWhatever ya s'pose ta call it, is real
expensive. But if you want something to make you feel Kinsler's prices
aren't bad, get the catalog from Hilborn themselves. Whew, even their
brochures look like corporate annual reports, thick glossy/coated paper,
premium photo work, etc. And wow, the prices. Beautiful stuff, but more
like rare works of art than car parts. Heh. On the cover is a picture of
a cast *magnesium* ram tube manifold (for a 327) that's sitting on a
scale. It doesn't weigh very much, but what they don't show on the cover
is that the manifold sells for over $2K (and the ram tubes are extra B)!

>How is the EGOR stuff rolling along? All this ION jazz makes me just go out
>and get a 55 gallon drum and some racing fuel to eliminate the problem ;-)

Well, I s'pose no time like the present to give an update. I've been
messing with the circuit that holds the pump off whilst the sensor
warms, cuz I'm thinking I can eliminate one of the dips/chips and use a
simple FET instead of the "analog switch" part I used to begin with.
Secondly, I've gotta tell y'all I've been draggin my feet some, cuz of
an issue that's come up over the last two weeks offlist, as a result of
some technical reports Brock Fraser ran across (he works at Deere in
Engine Engineering, with big engines, but their engine mgmt. system uses
NTK 5-wires), and we've been corresponding in private, cuz he can't
really blab to the totally public world the contents of internal Deere
documents, so he's been relaying the gist of things, and it turns out
the NTK sensors are reported to have a measurable sensitivity to exhaust
system PRESSURE. I've hesitated to bring this up, but in hindsight, we
were just discussing this yesterday, that we really needed to involve
the group in the discussion, rather than hold back, cuz it's got some
interesting learning kindsa things involved.

Since I've now broached the subject, I'll post another message giving
you a real brief synopsis, and then if Brock wants to weigh in and can
say more, I'm sure he will. It's no big meltdown horrific ugly surprise,
OK, so don't anyone get yer shorts all twisted up, but it DOES suggest
that before I send the complete package to Frank, we'd probably better
include in there a suitable pressure sensor that can be plugged into one
of the two parallel bungs, so we can get an idea of how much the exhaust
pressure is REALLY varying over our measurement testing range, and find
out what effect if any it has. If there's even the slightest chance that
differences in engine/exhaust system setup between Frank's two lab rats
and the other guy with his engine and ECM box on a dyno, might yield
some confusing or conflicting results during the testing, I wanna KNOW
what this other variable might have to do with anything. So now I've got
another meter to add to the three already on my lil EGOR test console
I've made for Frank to use, and have been looking at a couple likely
candidates for fairly low pressure, but fairly warm temperature,
pressure transducers to hook up to this same test console. The purpose
of making that for Frank is to keep him from having to set up a whole
complicated set of metering devices to gather the results. This way each
meter is connected into the circuit at the right place, and set up with
the right scale, etc. All he has to do is plugNplay.

>I think this was mentioned, but has anyone looked at motorcycle coils, I
>don't need to start a flame out, but they are sized right for Coil Ona
>Plug, have no idea on the wire configuration, but might be worth a look. I
>think that MSD also may make some cycle coils, but don't have any info in
>my books.

Should be fine for some folk, I did have a look at a plausible Harley
coil, but it's primary was pretty high impedance compared to the
automotive ones, so I wasn't sure if the fixed-current limit modules we
like to use in automotive circles was gonna work real well. Might work,
I just don't wanna introduce any more variables into the mix than I
absolutely have to.

For my own part, I've mentioned several times now, that I wanted to find
something that if I got enamoured with and it worked well with ION, I
could expect to get the part 10-15yrs down the road, and bike parts
change so rapidly, I wanted to stick with automotive stuff. That's when
Doc suggested having a look at Harley coils, since they're liable to
keep same and stick around some. But those are the only ones I've looked
at, and as far as MY own purposes are concerned, I'm thru groping for
coils, until I get some results with these Mits guys.

Gar