weber efi

nluker nluker at one.net.au
Thu Jun 4 15:15:12 GMT 1998

hi everyone
Ill answer the answers to my inquiry in order.

Is it the Weber Alpha system  which is sold as an after market system to
fit Weber carb manifolds ?

1/ No i dont think this is the after market weber alpha system

2/If You need informations regarding the Eprom's program Maybe I can
help You..

I had a look at the web page address you sent but it was all in italian
do you have a address for an english version of this site?

3/What do you want to know in particular?
What model is your car?

My model is a july 89 maserati 4 door biturbo also known as a " biturbo
425i"
It has a 2.5 litre V6 engine with twin turbo chargers .The car has 2
ecu's one is based on the weber speed density system which uses the rpm
and air density to do its calculations the other one is based on the
marelli microplex control unit
one ecu looks after the
knock sensor
crank sensor
camshaft sensor
wastegates
twin ignit. coils

the other ecu looks after the
six injectors
fuel pump
over rev cut
throttle pot
water temp sensor
camshaft sensor
crankshaft sensor
air temp sensor
absolute press sensor
You'll notice that the cam and crank sensors are shown as going to both
ecu's
What I would like to learn is how do the 2 ecu's tie into each other ?if
they do at all. Are the outputs from the crank & cam sensors sent to one
then the other or  are the ecu's simply wired in parrallel with the
sensors outputs
 I have seen some circuits to tap into the wastegate signal and into the
knock detect output  of the earlier boost controllers  to drive a couple
of leds so you could tell when knock was occuring and then see the
wastegates trigger. It also showed  when over boost triggered the waste
gates. The early controller was an analoge device and from what I read
was also used in early saab turbo's.

 What I would dearly love would be a pin out of the 2 ecu's so i could
do this circuit on thelater style ecu,s
in my car
my car will only go to 10 psi boost and then pull back to about 8 to 9
psi boost. From what every one tells me I should get at least 12 psi
boost maybe a bit more so if there is a pin on the ecu that goes
high/low when knock occurs it would make tracing this prob a lot easier
(i.e. dead knock sensor, noisy valves or to low octaine fuel)
The manual shows both ecu's with a test connector each. I have found
these sockets on both ecu's but they contain only one wire each do they
have to be grounded thru an opto coupler/resistor/LED etc to work? do
they give out much info? (i.e. can I plug my lap top into them)
 And finally does any one know anything about downloading the info on
the eproms in these ecu's and making some sense of it , like were the
max boost value is.
 I have noticed that the later 2.8 litre cars have a ego sensor but that
the 2.5 litre cars dont ( Ive also noticed they are listed as getting
better M.P.G). Does this mean they run a different ecu? or just use more
featueres of the same unit?
    any help any one can give would be greatly appreaciated
                nick luker