VIN decoding was: bench running ECM

rbraun at mail.enter.net rbraun at mail.enter.net
Sat Jun 13 14:12:30 GMT 1998

DIGIT #	MEANING
1	1 = USA    2=CANADA

2	G = General Motors

3	division, 2 = Pontiac 3 = Olds ? = Chevy

4	car line F = F-body

5	series S = Firebird, W = Trans Am

6	body type  2 = two door hatchback

7	Restraint code, 1 = manual belts; 3 = manual belt w/ air bag 4 =
auto belts

8	engine code  T = LHO  V6 mpfi
                         F = LB9  V8 TPI
                         8 = L98  V8 TPI
                         E = LO3 V8 TBI

9	Check sum

10	year 1990 = L
                      1991 = M

11	Plant Code, I'll list them all if someone wants

12 to 17 	sequence number

Randy Braun     rbraun at enter.net
91  GTA
82 Firebird